There is still time to register to compete in Scrabble for Cheaters 2014!How do you do such a thing, you ask?
1) Find a friend and come up with a clever team name.
3) Raise money to buy cheats (and support 826NYC’s writing and literacy programs!) that will…
"Lorde, you always look like Smeagol from Lord of the Rings…A nuh our fault say you caan sing live. Gwaan from ya Miss One Hit Wonder."
lol - journalist from Jamaica Star rips into Lorde in response to the singer’s comments about reggae music.
Kinda want to subscribe to the Jamaica Star now, trying to teach myself patois might compel me to read enough entertainment news to know who the hell modern pop celebrities are.
Yesterday on the street I saw a man wearing a T-Shirt, and it said, “Royal Majesty,” in big letters, and then under it, “Cruises,” and then there was some additional information about the happiness attending someone who had taken, or was going to take, a Royal Majesty Cruise. The man was, by my perception, homeless, or nearly so, at least he was pushing a grocery cart full of his personal belongings; he wasn’t in any case, a fully functional citizen, by my perception, and I thought, well, how interesting. The man was African-American, he might have had a T-Shirt that said, “Give a Damn,” or one of the civil rights slogans of another day, or he might have had a T-shit that said, “Give a Man a Job,” or “Give a Man a Break,” or just a T-shirt that said nothing at all, but he didn’t; he had a Royal Majesty Cruise T-shirt. It was a sweatshirt, I’ll correct myself. And I thought, what is this new vogue — and it is a new vogue — for the royals?
(George W.S. Trow, My Pilgrim’s Progress, 1999)
- Entirely too many commas, George. Your old typewriter must have pitched a fit.
- Are you sure that the (presumably free) clothing that someone you identify as a mentally ill homeless man is wearing for warmth is the right place to divine broad cultural trends?
- What relevance does this man’s race have to the story? Is this like when people feel the need to complain about getting cut off by this “awful woman driver” or the “incredibly rude MEXICAN lady working at Rite Aid,” as if that affects their inability to properly ring up your toiletries?
- I feel really dumb for carting this book around meaning to read it for the better part of a decade. Maybe this is meant to be some of the “wackily bracing” “close reading” that leads to “brilliantly provocative” critiques of culture. It read more to me that Trow inherently mistrusted anything invented post-1955, like hiring an editior, or research methods.
- Okay that last part isn’t entirely fair, he re-reads a grip of apparently arbitrary issues of New York newspapers from his adolesence, but in the same breath doesn’t bother to look up the name of actors or plots of films or dates of events that he introduces. Perhaps this is some sort of long-game of how unimportant it is to watch some stupid Madonna video or know the name of some dumb guy who was in Dog Day Afternoon, and if people stopped caring about that we’d all go back to memorizing Wordsworth and Bunyan like clearly every man woman and child did back in 1909, when things were great (assuming you weren’t a woman or gay or non-white or not Protestant or poor or dying of tuberculosis or polio or measles)
Guys, Oklahoma has had over 100 earthquakes in the last WEEK! How are people not discussing this more? Is it the fucking Olympics? Is it my OLYMPIC GIFCAPS DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE but seriously, please read this article. It is very alarming and bizarre.
I don’t want to kick anyone when they’re down, but as per traditional logic around events like these: might God be punishing them for legalizing neither gay marriage nor marijuana?
It’s going to be really hard to get the center of those Ws medium rare, Mean Gene. Look how badly the “GREAT AMERICAN BASH” meat carving is flaring up in the background!
I bet this made a lot of people want to buy the PPV though, to see how those burgers turned out.